Riley's first CrossFit Route 1 Class

Riley's first CrossFit Route 1 Class
Riley's first CrossFit Route 1 Class

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ending the Vicious Cycle

For the past 7 years, I've considered myself a distance runner.  I completed 5 marathons, many half marathons, and countless 10K & 5K races.  Constant running lead to different injuries and frustration lead to poor nutrition.  The combination always leads to weight gain.  Every year I recovered and set my eyes on a new race thinking I would lose the weight while training.  Well... I trained and completed new races, but never lost the weight.  With each race completion a new injury would pop up starting the cycle all over again.

Last fall I found myself at my heaviest weight and starting to make excuses why not to work out that day.  IT WAS REALLY HARD!  I started making excuses not to run with my friends.  I just couldn't bring myself to move all that weight.  This plays a big toll on someone who thinks of themselves as an athlete who runs distances.  I did manage to get out and run a few 5Ks, but I wasn't comfortable (or happy) with the run.

October 2010

Fast forward to now.  With the combination of Crossift and the Paleo Lifestyle, I'm doing more than I ever thought I would.  Exploring new exercises, old ones, and definitely more intense combinations of those.  I've finally gotten back out running with my friends, but this weekend was the first real test of "Am I back?"  Sunday morning I completed the Run Gloucester 7 mile race.  Not only did I complete it, but I did it in an under 12 minute pace :)  Last October I struggled to keep a 13 minute pace in the 5K.  My friends were impressed (especially considering I haven't been doing a ton of running).  It felt great to be back on pace! 
August 2011

I have officially turned the tables on the vicious circle.  I know I'll continue to lose weight, gain speed, and feel confident.  Running races is becoming fun again and that's the whole point!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts!!!!! You are an inspiration!!!!!!!!! And you look FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete